For the past two years, the Immigrants Are a Blessing Not a Burden campaign has empowered individuals like you to change the conversation about immigrants. Now, we’re taking our efforts a step further. We’re equipping people to organize their congregations to spread the message that immigrants are a blessing (as the Bible teaches us!) and to bring about concrete positive policy changes.
Continue to be a part of the movement of changing the conversation by partnering with us! Partners walk with their congregations as they learn more about our broken immigration system and how it impacts the people God calls us to welcome and defend. Partners work to educate their congregations, help integrate the topic of immigration into worship, speak to their public officials about common sense immigration policy, and connect church members to local efforts and organizations working with immigrants. We invite those who are already doing the work and those getting started to join.
Below are ideas of ways partners can engage their congregations:
- Offer the Church Between Borders workshop at your church
- Read Welcoming the Stranger with a small group in your congregation
- Become a social media ambassador
- Pray with and for people without legal immigration status
- Encourage your pastor to preach on immigration
- Participate in “I Was a Stranger” Bible Challenge
- Invite people to sign up for periodic immigration updates and actions alerts
- Show up for town halls, write op-eds, and publicly advocate for immigrant-friendly policies
- Work to set up legislative meetings with elected officials for church members
- Reach out and develop relationship with local immigrant church
- Host a Know Your Rights or a Family Preparedness training through reaching out to a local immigration attorney
- Connect a group to volunteer or partner with immigrant-focused ministries (tutoring, child care, food)
- Find and contact your local immigrant justice/sanctuary coalition and attend their meetings.