[Based on interest from churches, mandates from Synod, and current events, we focus on a select number of active issues. While this is not one of our active issues, feel free to browse the resources and information on this page. As need arises, we’ll update this page with new information and resources.]
Hot topic issues of life and death ethics - stem cell research, the death penalty - are not included in the mandate of the OSJ, which focuses mostly on a small set of justice issues that relate to root causes of poverty and hunger. However, because justice issues of life and death are, rightly so, of great importance to the CRC and broader church community, we have provided a few links here that we thought might be valuable resources.
- CRC Positions on Euthanasia
- Synod 2003 report from the Committee to Examine Life Issues Raised by Bioscience and Genetic Engineering (PDF, 2.7mb): Starting at pdf page 265
- Responses to that report (PDF, 960k): Starting on pdf page 82
- Many churches have groups that work on life issues; sometimes the social justice or social action committee will take on these issues. Talk to your social action committee or church leadership to see what opportunities are available in your church or community.
- Life issues and up-to-date legislative action opportunities are available on sites like the Evangelical Fellowship of Canada.